Do you have a concern or a complaint about a health professional?

Most often health care professionals in Manitoba provide safe, competent, and ethical care.

Unfortunately, at times situations can happen that result in a concern or complaint.

Health regulatory colleges have the right to investigate complaints.  All health regulatory colleges have a process they follow for addressing complaints brought to their attention. Many of the colleges will be able to share their process with you. When necessary, they will also be able to take action which may include disciplinary action.

FAQ's About Complaints

  • Who can make a complaint?

    Any member of the public who has concerns about the care received by a health care practitioner or about their conduct can submit a complaint to their college.

    Making a complaint is a personal decision. Colleges treat complaints seriously and with confidentiality.

  • Who do I make the complaint to?

    Complaints need to be made to the college that the health care professional belongs to.  For example, if you are making a complaint against a dental hygienist, you would contact the College of Dental Hygienists.  Each college has a process for the complaints which you can learn more about on their website.  For a list of the websites for the health colleges, please go to

  • What happens after the complaint is made?

    Colleges will inform you of the process.  Colleges have the duty to explore each complaint.  Some complaints make lead to formal investigations.  If a health care practitioner did not meet standards,  Colleges have the authority to ensure the situation does not happen again and may enforce disciplinary measures.

  • How long will it take?

    Different colleges have different processes for complaints.  Complaints also vary in nature and can take time depending on the nature of the complaint, and the investigation process.  The college you contact may be able to provide you with a timeframe.

  • What if I still have concerns?

    If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may be able to contact Manitoba Ombudsman.  The ombudsman investigates complaints from people who feel they have been treated unfairly by departments or agencies of the provincial government or by a municipal government.